Analyze, Measure and Optimize Battery and Data usage of your Mobile apps on Android devices
Today’s smartphone users are serious about device data and battery usage and do not want to be left in the dark about some app eating up their device battery life. Studies show that battery life is the most important feature considered by a smartphone buyer today. Google has been adding frameworks like dynamic app permissions, battery optimizations in recent Android versions to bring more transparency to end users on how apps are running on their devices.
In this era where most mobile apps (Gmail, twitter, facebook, EMM clients, Google Maps, etc) tend to offer near real time experience to users using push notifications, data sync, long polling, it’s easy for developers to err and leak unnecessary data and battery on device.
App Developers are constantly striving to design mobile applications that will have minimal impact on data and battery usage and at the same time offer a real time data sync. In this session we will talk about how we measure mobile battery and data usage using Selenium integrated with Appium, and how this helps in optimizing the Battery and Data usage.
Any app that supports a push notification or data sync typically includes a server component, which sends out commands to the client, and a client component, which runs on the device and receives, executes the commands. In our implementation we have integrated Selenium and Appium Scripts to perform actions on server and client as a continuous process, creating and sending the command from the server to the client is automated through Selenium scripts, and on receiving the command on the device, Appium scripts capture the battery and data usage before and after the command has been executed from the Application settings, this is repeated for several commands and measured, baselined and optimized.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
1. Why battery and data usage testing is important?
2. Types of Battery and Data usage testing
3. Challenges faced while performing manual Data and Battery Usage testing
4. Overview on the web and mobile app integration through Selenium and Appium
5. Use cases where integration of Selenium and Appium will be helpful
1. Integration of Selenium with Appium for Battery and Data Usage testing
2. Understanding of Battery and Data Usage Testing for mobile apps
3. Metrics to measure and Optimize Battery\Data Usage Testing
4. Integration of Selenium and Appium implementation can be used for multiple mobile applications in different scenarios
QA, Automation Test Engineers, Dev Engineers